Sunday, May 23, 2010

Family Camping Trip to Yellowstone, Day 9

August 26, 2009
Canyon Campground to Old Faithful Lodge

Got up and had a simple breakfast of oatmeal. The girls went horseback riding while dad did laundry. We broke down camp and packed up for the last time, and drove back to Upper Geyser Basin and the historic Old Faithful Lodge where we would spend out last night in the Park.

We stopped along the way at the Yellowstone River and had lunch - tuna fish and chips.

We checked into the Old Faithful Lodge and got keys to our room in the original building section. The shared bathrooms were tiled and beautiful and there were beautiful old tubs that I'm sorry we didn't take advantage of!

Old Faithful Lodge...




The girls shopped while I went to the backcountry office, modified my permit to start off on the Buffalo Plateau trail the next evening and I also got my Montana fishing license so I could legally fish on the Buffalo Fork. The lad from the Youth Conservation Corps was most helpful, using his personal cell phone to track down info and then using the computer to register me online and print out my receipt. WOW - what service!

Old Failthful backcountry office....


After taking care of the backcountry permit, I did a little gift shopping and SHOWERED! We had a lovely dinner in the Lodge restaurant. I had the pork chop special with apple glaze and Kathi had steak and shrimp with fried risotto - we even tried a little farmed bison meat. It was good. Dana, of course, had grilled cheese and fries and Hailey picked from the buffet. Mom and I also had Gouda soup (tomato base?) Excellent!

Cleaned plates....


After dinner, we sat on the second story deck/porch and watched Old Faithful blow and recounted stories of our trip as the sun went down. Perfect!

the "porch"...


Old Faithful letting it rip!


After dark, Hailey helped me look for Mars which was supposed to be particularly big and close.

2 out of 3 camping beauties!


Feelin satisfied, we hit the rack hard!

No comments: