Monday, October 22, 2018

2018 Italy Vacation, Day 13: Back to Levanto

We wound out way down the mountains of Crovara and San Marco D'Urri reveling in our unique experience, but as we coursed along the river, my thoughts tuned back to fishing and taking this day next level.

As we drove, I kept a look out for a spot to park and access as promising section of the river.  We crossed the stream and found a semi-industrial area where it seemed no one would care if I pulled off on the side of the road.   Kathi read, while I made my way down to the banks of the river.   The river and the surroundings were beautiful.  It had been tamed by many damns and was slow moving so I dispelled any notion of Italian trout.
 I found a section with faster moving water and a little riffle section.  I cast my nymph and let it drift through the section.  I saw some fish move around and after a couple of drifts, got a solid strike.
I'm guessing this is perhaps the Italian equivalent of our fall fish.  Pretty nonetheless.  The Tenkara USA Rhodo is now an international traveler.
 I couldn't resist walking upstream...looking around the next corner... and testing the waters.  But before too long, I knew I should pack it up and rejoin Kathi for the drive back to Levanto.  We stopped for gelato to carry us through the late afternoon drive.

We arrived in Levanto in the late afternoon, checked back into Hotel Oasi.  We got a dinner recommendation from the front desk and set out on foot.
We made it to La Tavernetta just as the sunlight was fading.  We got a nice candle-lit streetside table for two.  Kathi had troffia with pesto and I had paccheri ragu.  While we waited for the main course, we received a "house welcome" shrimp cocktail and pineapple with prosciutto primi.  We shared a 1/4 liter of house blanco, bread, and finished our meal with some complimentary limoncello and espresso.  What a great little restaurant.  We love Levanto!

After dinner, we strolled down to the waterfront.  Kathi showed me the private beach/swim club she had stumbled across a few days earlier.  It's pool glowed in the dark sky.
We continued along the waterfront promenade and down to the harbor looking for some info on a snorkeling outfitter for the next day's adventure.  
It was a beautiful, breezy evening and we took our time enjoying the boats, the gentle sea, the twinkling lights, and each other's company.
We circled back to Hotel Oasi, and climbed into bed after a miraculous and magical day.

No comments: